I was working on this little baby blanket (left) for car seats a while ago. It has a vertical “eyelet” border — where you do (k2) on one row and (k2tog, yo), on the next row, and it leaves a little hole. The way most patterns “mimic” this for the horizontal borders is with a row of (k2tog, yo). I used that on this blanket, but since it plays into the pattern, I don’t mind it so much. However, in other instances, I have never been happy with how it looks.
I got to thinking as I was knitting on it how I could recreate the look of the vertical border for the horizontal border and had a brain wave.
Naturally, I had to stop what I was doing, go boot up the computer, and try out what I was thinking (writing it down on the computer as I went). It took a bit, but I finally got it worked out — a way to get that “two twisted strands of yarn” look on a horizontal border.
I like the way it looks so much better than the (k2tog, yo) look.
It’s hard to take a good picture of it, but the way I do it mimics the look of the vertical border so much better, I think. I had to invent a couple of stitches in order to do it, though:
psro = pass the stitch to the right over the last stitch knitted. (Unlike the traditional “psso” where the first stitch is slipped without being worked, BOTH stitches are knitted.)
sspbl, kbl = insert right needle as though to purl through the back loop and slip the stitch to the right needle, put the slipped stitch back on the left needle and purl through the back loop.
nbs = number of stitches in vertical border.
Row 1: k(nbs), *k2, psro, repeat from * until (1+ nbs) remain, k2, psro, knit to end of row.
Row 2: k(nbs), *yo, sspbl, kbl, repeat from * until (nbs) remain, yo, knit to the end of the row.
I’m posting this in my knitting blog. I’ve written it so you can modify a pattern you already have, as well as incorporate it into a new pattern you’re writing.
In other news, as I mentioned before, I’ve been on home oxygen since 30 May, but I’ve managed to wean down from 2 liters to 1 liter successfully. Now I’ve gotten to the point where if something will be a PITA to do while I’m wearing the oxygen thingie with its 50-foot long tube that I have to drag around, I take it off and do the thing without oxygen, going up to 10 minutes without it sometimes and most of the time staying above 90% oxygen saturation (the amount of oxygen being carried in arterial blood = blood oxygen level or O2 sat. 100% is as good as it gets). I had to get this little pulse oximeter (see above) on my way home from the hospital so I can keep track of my O2 sat. On the gizmo’s readout, the top number is my pulse, the second number is my blood oxygen level/O2 sat.
Just now, I got up from the computer, threw an empty apple juice bottle away in the kitchen trash, took a potty break, went back to the back bedroom and took a couple pictures of the Car Seat Baby Blanket (green one above) I was working on earlier, and came back and sat down, all without my oxygen on. My o2sat did fall to 88% (anything below 90% is too low), but once I sat down and took a couple of deep breaths, it went back up to 90% before I even put my oxygen back on. I’m making progress. I’m bound and determined I’m going to ditch this oxygen rig for good before I go see the pulmonologist on 11 July.
I have a collection of “sleep shirts” (teeshirts with shirt tails that go down to my knees) that I wear around the house in the summer because they’re cotton and cool. Three of them happen to have a little pocket on them, and I’ve been rotating between having one clean, wearing one, and having one in the wash since I got out of hospital. This is so I can keep my little friend, the red pulse oximeter, in the little pocket where it’s always handy.
I’ve decided that tomorrow I’m going to start exercising again (with oxygen on). I’m going to do the postsurgical rehab exercises for my legs that they gave me when I broke my kneecap, as well as some exercises for my upper back mostly to help me stand up straighter and pull my shoulders back.
I went to knitting group Tuesday for the first time in over a month. I had planned to go and had intended to drive myself — I’ve driven several times with the oxygen tank in the passenger seat. But then, my good friends LB texted me asking if they could come pick me up and take me to knitting group. As it was a great opportunity to visit with both LB and her husband C, I agreed to go with them. She is unable to drive due to vision problems from her multiple bouts of chemotherapy (she now has stage IV breast cancer with metastasis to her bones) and C drives her to knitting group. They are such a sweet couple. We had a really nice visit. LB has been knitting baby blankets. She’s finished the pink one, and is now working on a blue one. Apparently, both the blankets already have homes. As I’ve said before, “There’s nothing a knitter likes better than an excuse to knit something.”
I might also mention that LB is now on a new type of chemotherapy that is in a pill form. This is the very latest thing in cancer treatment. They had such good results with it with lung cancer, achieving a high remission rate even in more advanced stages, that they are now trying it on breast cancer, and it looks to be equally effective. She has been on it for a couple months. Now that she no longer has to go to the cancer center to receive IV infusions of chemotherapy but takes her chemo in pill form, they have been able to travel once she felt well enough. They’ve taken several trips, to Florida and to Taos, New Mexico. She said Tuesday that she is now feeling better than she has felt in over four years. This is a good sign. There is a possibility that with this new treatment, she might achieve remission, even with stage IV disease. We are all hopeful.