Well, I’ve been working on the same four shawls for months now, and I’m kinda bored with them. So, I went rootling through my cache of UFO’s (UnFinished Objects) and fetched out a couple of things. One of them was the below left, which dated from the trip to Savannah, GA; Charleston, SC; and points in between, that mom and I took in May of 2016. It was a tour thing, and one of the ladies on the tour had this big, square, woven, linen scarf with a tassel on each end that she wore around her neck. I liked it and cogitated a knitting pattern to that effect made with acrylic yarn. I fotched that out of the UFO pile and was working on it, but the longer I worked on it and the more I looked at it, the unhappier I got with it to the point where I frogged that sucker back to the slipknot.
Originally, I had used a garter tab — cast on 4 stitches , stockinette for 4 rows to form a square, then pick up stitches all the way around the square — to start it, and that’s the part I didn’t like. I rethought it and started with eight stitches, two apiece on four Double Pointed Needles (DPNs), and joined it to knit in the round, and started right in with kfb’s (knit front and back) to get 8 stitches, then k1, p1, for the even rows, and (kfb, k to 1 stitch before marker, kfb) x 4 for the odd numbered rows. (If I could come up with 7 DPNs the same size, — they come in sets of 5 — I could do a hexagonal piece the same way . . . . Hmmmm. . .)
I was using size US 9 (5.5 mm) Takumi Clover bamboo needles at the time (it takes a set of DPNs, and several lengths of circular needles — 16-inch, 24-inch, 36-inch, etc. as the piece gets bigger and bigger). But, the Takumi bamboos aren’t pointed enough, and the wood “drags” to the point that I can’t get up any speed on them, so after I frogged it, I was going to restart it using the ChiaoGoo Red Lace stainless steel needles, which is my current needle of choice. However, I didn’t have any 16-inch needles available in a US 9 (5.5 mm) so I had to drop back to a size US 8 (5.0 mm) because all the lengths I needed were available.
When I put my knitting down to go to lunch, I looked down and saw I had a long white hair on the front of my shirt (I realized it was one of mine that had gotten attracted to the yarn at some point in the past). As I was pulling it off, it kept coming and coming and coming — I measured it, and it was 25 inches long! Sigh. Oh, well. I currently have a moratorium on haircuts for the foreseeable future — it’s probably all going to fall out during chemo anyway. However, for now, I’m just letting it grow.
For the moment, life is pretty much back to normal: A bowl of knitting on my desk, a bowl of knitting by my chair . . . .
Oh, and I wore my traditional shirt with writing on it for Xmas. Yep.
One thought on “A Blast From the Past”
I don’t understand how you did it, but that scarf center sure does look better. And, I love the shirt!