Mom came and picked me up Wednesday morning and I got to the dentist with 5 whole minutes to spare.  He did me dirty, though, as his nitrous oxide machine was not working.  It’s not the pain; it’s the noise of the drill that just curls my toes.  Still I had my MP# player on so it wasn’t quite so bad.  As I noted, there was not much tooth left above the gum line, so he had to remove it piecemeal, but it went OK.  A headlock was not required.

My ice fingers were brilliant.  Three was just the right amount — a life hack to remember if you have rambunctious kids (keep a couple in the freezer at all times), or are anticipating a medical or dental procedure that require icing a body part:  Fill a snack size baggie half full of water and almost completely seal it, forcing as much air out as you can.  Then seal it completely and lay it on its side in the freezer and let it freeze.  Wrap it in a wash cloth to apply — not because it will leak, but to protect your skin. Once the ice has melted, just pop it back into the freezer to refreeze.  Another life hack to remember:  Icing a wound or injury is usually done 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off — which is about how often network TV programs break for commercial.  Apply the ice pack during a commercial break, take it off during the next commercial break, then put it back on at the next commercial break, etc.

I was supposed to take three 200 mg ibuprofen and one 325 mg acetaminophen every four hours for pain, and a hefty antibiotic every 6 hours.  Since I’m allergic to all the good stuff (opiates) that’s about all I can take anyway, and so far, that has done the trick.

Fortunately, I can eat oatmeal and soft foods, because the high-protein Boost doesn’t fill me up and popping that much ibuprofen and a dose of acetaminophen besides on nothing but liquid doesn’t work very well as liquids are rapidly absorbed by the stomach.

I noticed when I woke up this morning that the floor of my mouth under my tongue was puffy, but as far as actual pain, I have had very little so far (touch wood!).

He put a membrane over the bone graft and sewed that in to protect it.  The idea is that the bleeding into the socket will soak into the bone graft and the fibrin that helps form the blood clot will form a bridging matrix by which my own bone will grow out into the graft and incorporate it into new bone, which is the whole point of the exercise.

He wants to see me today at 11 a.m. and I need to go get ready.  More later.