, ,

2014_10_24-06This past week has been so hard.  Last week, I made the decision that today would be the day that obnoxious little white boy (kitty) who had lived with me almost 16 years would cross over the Rainbow Bridge.  This week he got extra kitty treats.  I gave him chunks of chicken — an unexpected but welcome bounty.  He got extra snuggles and scritches, and he got to drink from the bathroom sink several times a day.  He killed a cat toy Tuesday, paraded through the apartment carrying it, singing “The Mighty Hunter Song” through clinched teeth.  It was almost unbearable to listen to.  Then he brought it to me and laid it down by my chair.

Wednesday evening, I asked the dear friend who has “sat” my cats so many times over for dinner so that he could say goodbye, and we had a kind of “ante-wake.”

I didn’t get a lot of sleep last night.  We had a thunderstorm at about 11 p.m. and actually got some rain out of all the thundering and carrying on. (We were under a severe thunderstorm alert until 1:15 a.m.)  It was just after 5 a.m. when I finally made myself go to bed and tried to get some sleep.  I have my alarm set for 9 a.m.  The alarm rang all too soon this morning.

c2a05-2-2008puposingdemurelyonthebedI suckered him into getting put in the carrier by letting him drink from the sink one last time.  While he was in there and distracted, I got the carrier out, stood it on end and leaned it up against the wall in the living room, with the door open and ready.  Then I threw a towel over him, wrapped him up in it and shoved him into the crate.  Needless to say he was not happy about it.  Neither was I.

As I was driving to the vet’s, I noticed my “something is wrong with a tire” light was on.  When I parked at the vet’s, and went around to get him from the shotgun seat, I checked my tires.  My right rear tire was flat.  Completely.

So I’m standing in the waiting room with a cat who hates going to the vet, trying not to stress him any longer than I have to, calling the roadside assistance number to get somebody to come change my tire, and I’m actually grateful that it is going to take 45 minutes for them to get there.

Poor old man.   The vet took him into an exam room and tranquilized him, because he is not an easy cat to handle.  I had already had all week to say goodbye, but I stood there with him.  He went quickly, painlessly, at 10:05 a.m.  He is in good company.  It was not an easy decision, but I think it is the right one, all things considered.  He will be cremated the same as the other two were and his cremains will be put on my dresser beside those of the other two.  The vet handles all that.  I couldn’t bear to bring the empty carrier home, and I don’t need it any more anyway; I donated it to the vet.

Now, instead of going home, I get to sit in my car out in the parking lot  pulling myself together, drying my eyes, blowing my nose, and wait for the guy to come change my flat.  I’m only out there about 5 minutes when here the guy comes, puts the spare tire on, puts the flat in the trunk and I’m off to the dealership to see if I can get the tire fixed.  They say, it’ll be about two hours.  I spend 30 minutes at the car dealership sitting in the waiting room with the 15-pound bag of cat food I had in my trunk, waiting for the courtesy van to take me home.  I don’t any more get in the door, when I see I’ve got a message on my phone.  It’s the Toyota dealership.  I call them.  They say the tire cannot be fixed.  I need a new one.  That’ll be $90, please.  My car will be ready at 2 p.m.  Great.

I had planned to spend the whole day on a massive house-cleaning bender, but now that can’t start until after I’ve picked up my car.  House cleaning includes doing laundry, though, so I go to strip the sheets and spread off my bed.  There is a tuft of white fur on the spread.  That sets me off and I’m sobbing as I’m putting the sheets and spread in the washer, as I pick up the half chewed pieces of paper off the floor in the office and throw them away.  (Did I mention he ate paper?)

It’s time to go get my car now, so I’ve got to go call the courtesy van to come pick me up and take me back to the dealership.

Not to put too fine a point on the day so far, I’m getting new neighbors upstairs.  They’re moving in today.  They’ve parked their car in the space where I always park.  They have a 4-year-old boy.