, , ,

Tuesday morning, I was on the road to Amarillo by 9 a.m.  Made it as far as 50th Street and the Loop (about five blocks), and realized I had left my computer on.  However, some people leave theirs on 24/7, so I resisted the urge to go back and turn it off.  I went via I-27 — typical of interstate highways, it is a 4-lane divided highway all the way between my town and Amarillo — good roads, speed limit of 75 mph/121 kph, hardly any traffic to speak of, and an utterly boring drive.  The weather was cool and overcast.  I made the turnoff onto State Road 335, AKA Soncy Avenue, but second-guessed myself looking for West Amarillo Blvd, thinking I had gone too far when I hadn’t gone far enough.  Then I turned off onto Highway 40 when I shouldn’t have and had to turn around and back track. Scenic route not withstanding, I made it to the VA hospital and was pulling into a parking place by 11:15.  I made it to the Radiology Department, reported in, told them I had a 3 pm appointment but they said they’d work me in earlier if possible, found a seat in the waiting area, knitted 3-1/2 rows and they called me in.  Spent all of 10 minutes getting the CT scan, and was out on the street by 11:55. (beat the VA bus there, BTW)  Then I  had me a Big Mac at Mickey D’s, filled up my car’s gas tank, then hit the road for home (I’m getting an average of 26 mpg, BTW).  I pulled into the parking space at my apartment by shortly after 2:30 p.m.

Drove 280 some-odd miles (450.6 k) and spent 5-1/2 hours in order to spend 10 minutes actually getting the CT scan, which I could have gotten at one of the local hospitals here, (and Medicare would have paid for all but $104), except there was nobody at the VA clinic who could write me an order for it.  The CT scan should be read and the written report sent by Thursday-ish.

I got back in time to go get a refill prescription for the cephalexin I’m taking trying to clear up this bone infection.  I took it to Walmart to get it filled (the VA does not fill prescriptions written by nonVA healthcare professionals) and get some groceries while I was waiting to get the prescription filled.  I got home, put up my groceries, had time to eat a container of yogurt, and then went off to my knitting group. (We got pre-empted out of our room again and had to meet in the library proper.)  By the time I got home from that, I was pooped.

Back up at 8 o’clock Wednesday morning to go to The Brace Place by 9 o’clock to pick up the custom orthotics for my shoes.  (I was supposed to go Tuesday but I had to reschedule, because I went to Amarillo.)  Then I cooled my heels over a cup of fruit and oatmeal at McDonald’s until my 10:30 appointment to take the new car (Crayolanova? Silver?) in for it’s 4-month service (they rotated the tires and checked to see all was as it should be.  I go back in August to get the oil changed.  This is all free service as a part of the warranty maintenance.   (I took knitting to do while I waited.)

Then I went over to mom’s house.  We visited for a while and then went out to lunch. While we were visiting, she mentioned that the Sunday she flew to Houston to attend her brother’s funeral, she dreamed about my dad for the first time since he passed (September 22, 2014).  She said she dreamed he came walking into their bedroom — walking normally, without his walker —  and said he wanted to go to Houston with her, so she went to the dresser and pulled out three undershirts and three pairs of boxer shorts to pack for him, which is what he would have needed had he been going with her.  Then she woke up, got up and got ready, and I picked her up and took her to the airport.  It was a nice dream, and typical of him.  He would have wanted to go with her.  (I might mention that she actually could have gone to their dresser and taken out clothes for him — all his clothes are still right where they were when he passed.  She is not ready to deal with that yet.)

Mom goes out of town for three days tomorrow to a music association convention in Brownwood, Texas, and she had changed her beauty shop appointment from Friday morning to that afternoon to get her hair done prior to her trip.  She will go with three of her women friends, one of whom will drive them.  I’m so glad she’s able to do things like this.  She is such a social person, and she missed being able to travel and go out frequently when she was caring for my dad that last year and a half.  Next month, a couple have invited her to their house on one of the lakes in the Dallas area.  She and the lady used to work together at the law firm where she was a legal secretary for so many years.   I’m so thankful that my 90-year-old mom is not only still as sharp as a tack, but also healthy, fit and able to get around with no trouble.  She’s just like her oldest sister, JJP,  — she never meets a stranger!

On my way back from my mom’s house, I stopped by the vet’s to get some of the Science Diet KD (special kidney formula) A 4 lb bag of that stuff costs over $20, so the grey one is going to be the only one who gets any. The other two can just eat the Mature Hairball Control Science Diet I put down for all comers.   I gave her a little bowl of it today and she snarfed it up.  It comes in small kibbles and she seems to be able to eat it a lot more easily than the chicken I’ve been giving her. Even when I cube it in small cubes, because it’s moist, it tends to stick to the dish and she seems to have trouble getting it up into her mouth.  I just hope this KD  stuff helps her gain some weight.  She hardly weighs anything.  She’s just skeletal.  If I can’t put some weight back on her soon, I’m afraid I’m going to lose her.  I’ve put a bowl of fresh water up on the dryer for her so she can drink water that the black one hasn’t put his foot in or isn’t lurking to pounce on her the moment she tries to settle down to drink.  My poor little baby girl.

IMG_2047When I got back home, I saw that my yarn bowl had been delivered.  I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but I’m planning on staying home for a while now.  At least until knitting group next Tuesday.  I’ll try it out tomorrow.  The new car has over 1800 miles on it now.  I’m going to be driving the wheels off it if I’m not careful.