, , , ,

Especially when you don’t work on Mondays.  Transcription is still pretty much uphill.  Tonight was attack of the motor mouths.  They’re the ones who talk as fast as humanly possible, which is bad enough, but there’s that “hurry up, hurry up” pressure to their speech that can make it almost unintelligible.  Ugh.  Even after 3-1/3 weekends of work, I’m still reaccomplishing my humpty-gazillion Autocorrect entries.  (The basic idea of autocorrect is to correct mispellings and typos as you type, but if you’re smart, you can put it to work for you to save keystrokes and make life easier.)

I had a nice file of medical transcription Autocorrect entries which would have been transferrable, but I lost that file, along with a lot of other things, in the Dell crash.  The medical transcription job I had at the time used a different program (I had to reaccomplish all my shortcut entries into that one, too) and I had no way to  recover that file when they laid me off. So, I’m reaccomplishing all my medical transcription Autocorrect entries yet again in this new program.  Not all of it is medical terminology:  “Approx” for “approximate,” “insuf” for “insufficiency,”  and series of them like, “resps” for “response,” “respb” for “responsible,” “respv” for “responsive,” “respd” for “respond.”  Then I also have an Autocorrect entry “thep” for “the patient” which usually does an end run around my tendency to type “aptient” instead of “patient.” (I have an entry for “aptient,” too.)

Where Autocorrect really works for me is with hyphenated things and capitalized things like acronyms.  The big hyphenation thing for me is the “-year-old’s.” You have to have a separate Autocorrect entry for each and every age — 2-year old, 3-year-old, 99-year-old, and everything in between — but once you get them all in, it’s gravy.   If you make Autocorrect entries for all your acronyms, that saves you time.  It takes time to push the shift key, and all those microseconds add up.  It’s easier and faster to type “uri” than “URI,” and then there’s the Autocorrect entry for what the acronym stands for “urin” for “urinary tract infection.”  And then there are some drugs and terms that have internal capitalizations, like “AquaMEPHYTON” and “AciPHex.”  All those little fiddly bits that make life complicated.   And then there’s all those words I can never remember how to spell, and/or consistently mispell …

Oh, with a little creative thought, you can shave a ton of keystrokes off your typing.  “ptol” for “The patient tolerated the procedure well.” for example.   And those little canned spiels the docs just rattle off at warp speed because they say them all the time, and have said them so often they don’t even pay attention to what they’re saying.   You end up having to just skull them out, and it can take 10 or 12 reports (or more!) to finally work out all the wording, but once you get it all sorted out, it’s Autocorrect time!

But in the meantime, I type and hit a shortcut that’s not in Autocorrect and have to stop and put it in, and any variants it might have, which is how you have to do it because you can’t just pull them all out of your ear.  There at first, I spent half my time adding Autocorrect entries.  I’m down to about a fourth of the time now.

Earlier today, I was going to make microwave oatmeal, but one of those little packets is such a paltry amount of oatmeal, I always make two.   The brand of oatmeal I used to use, you poured the oatmeal in the bowl, and added boiling water.  This new brand, you pour the oatmeal and water in the bowl, stir and microwave it for 2 minutes.  I thought with two packets, I should maybe nuke it for 3 minutes.  Just in case, I put a plate over the bowl.  As it turned out, the plate was a good plan but  three minutes is way too long.  Oatmeal pushed out from under the plate and got all on the turntable and all over the underside of the plate.  Next time, I’ll try the plate and 2 minutes and 30 seconds.  You live and learn.

2014_10_10-03I’ve decided to do the Braidheart scarf for my dentist. He’s been my dentist for over 10 years and he’s such a nice guy.  Knitting enthusiasts will jump on any excuse to knit something . . . I had gotten the yarn to knit some socks for my dad but didn’t get a chance to.   I learned pretty quickly that knitting on it while sitting at the computer is not a good plan. The dark yarn already makes it hard to see detail, and when it’s backlit, dropped stitches and mistakes go uncaught entirely too long.   I plan to make it rather short as scarves go.  I don’t like scarves that are longer than a waist length coat.  This is “pay attention” knitting.  I have to use a Post-it note to mark my place in the pattern. If you mess up you have to rip it out to a point where the cables cross.  fe881-12-2007wildthingThat’s the only place you can be sure of where you are in the pattern.

The grey kitty is happy because the pretend leopard blanket is folded across the foot of the bed.  Haven’t needed it yet, but it’s there if I do. She likes that it’s soft and snuggly.  So do I.

The black one likes it, too.  He tends to monopolize whatever he likes and not let anybody else partake of it.  I’ll be lying in the dark all warm and snuggly and hear,  “Rowrl! Hisssssss!” and know he’s gotten onto the grey one for daring to infringe upon what he considers is his territory.  I get so put out with him.  He won’t let the grey one snuggle up next to my stomach, because I won’t let him do it.  No good trying to explain to him I won’t let him do it because he weighs a ton, and she doesn’t outweigh a quart of ladybugs/ladybirds, to borrow a phrase from Pogo.  He’s such a little thug.  When I reorganized the office closet with the sets of drawers, I ended up having a bin full of odds and ends of yarn that there wasn’t room for and a pillow that was in the plastic case that my old red comforter came in.   The pillow was atop the bin, and she snuggled down on top of the pillow.  That lasted all of two days before he took it away from her.  Did I mention what a little thug he is?

Mom has been having attacks of nausea and vomiting.  They started out 11 or 12 months apart, but have gradually become more and more frequent.  The last interval was four months between attacks.  Now she’s had two bouts in as many weeks.  She’ll be nauseated, and throw up, and then have repeated attacks of retching for seven or eight hours. I only found out about this last episode because she happened to mention it in an email.  It’s not good for somebody to vomit that much.  I’m afraid she’s going to get a Mallory-Weiss tear from all that retching, and wind up in the hospital.

We need to find out the cause of these episodes and do something about it. If I had known she was having another attack, I would have gone by and insisted she let me take her to the emergency room.  It’s so hard to get appointments with her doctor, especially since her doctor’s husband just past away last week.  The fact that these attacks are becoming more and more frequent is concerning enough that the next time Mom has one, she needs to go to the emergency room where they can order the proper tests right then and there, and hydrate her.  Bless her heart.  She tends to minimize things, and “oh, it’s not that serious,” but it is.  She’s already lost a lot of weigh from the stress of taking care of my dad.  Now these attacks are interfering with her ability to eat.

Late Sunday evening, we had a little thunder shower.  We’re predicted to get back up into the 80’s F/26+ C, for Wednesday and Thursday, but be back down into the 70’sF/21+C starting Friday and well into next week. It’s windy out, and when I went to look through the blinds just now to see if it was still raining, I could feel the cold air blowing through under the window.  I see I’m going to need to make a draft dodger for the office window and probably one for the living room window, too.