, , , ,

In my last blog post, I neglected to mention that I finally had the MRI‘s of my neck and shoulder last Thursday afternoon at 5:20 p.m..  It was at the University Medical Center which is way out on the other side of town on the TTU Campus near the TTU School of Medicine and the TTU Health Sciences Center.   It’s a good thing I had on good walking shoes because you always have to hike so far from the visitors’ parking lot to get to the Hospital. The other big hospital here in town, CMC, had no choice but to build two big 5-story parking garages across the street from the hospital; however, UMC, being out on the edge of the very large campus, has lots and lots of room for acres and acres of parking.  I was lucky.  I only had to hike about half a mile to get to where I was supposed to go.  But if you have to park in one of the farthest lots, it would be a wise to pack a lunch and bring a canteen.

An MRI is not for the claustrophobic.  I spent about three quarters of an hour in a long, noisy metal tube less than 2 feet in diameter, while the machine squawked and buzzed, and thumped and bumped loud enough that the tech gave me foam ear plugs to wear during the scans.   Between my natural sangfroid and the Queen Victoria technique (I lay as still as I could and thought of England), I got through the process OK.   I didn’t feel badly about being there until almost 6:45 p.m. since it is a hospital radiology department and there would have to be at least two techs (an x-ray tech and an imaging tech), and a clerk on duty 24 hours a day.

In other news, I went over to the folk’s house this morning to stay with my dad while mom went to church.  (She is the church historian and takes pictures of every new member who joins for the scrapbook she is obliged to keep pursuant to her duties plus they were having some kind of pancake breakfast this morning).  I’m happy to report that the sippy cups have been a resounding success.  Heretofore, my dad would drink about half his cup of cappuccino, then let it sit and get cold.  Since we started using the sippy cups, which hold about 9 oz of liquid, he empties the cup now, and drinks about 2 sippy cups full now in the time it would have taken him to drink half a coffee mug full, let it sit and get cold, and then decide he wanted another cup.  I’m sure part of it is that he’s not trying to swallow big mouthfuls at a time, but just sips, so he’s not choking nearly as much, plus the cups are insulated and keep the cappuccino hotter longer.  Since he won’t drink water or milk, this is great from the standpoint of keeping him well hydrated, and since we mix about 3 tablespoons of powdered instant breakfast drink in with the cappuccino (which also serves to thicken it some), he’s getting more nutrients.  I was there from 10 o’clock to 12:30, and he drank four cupfuls during that time period, including two with his lunch (mom brought home KFC and we had lunch together).   So a big score for the home team and cheap at the price, since they come in packages of two, and the store had a BOGOHO* sale on.

After being colder than the proverbial wedge earlier in the week, yesterday’s high was 82F/27.7C and today’s high was 75F/23.8C.  It’s supposed to stay in the high 60’s/low 70’s for the rest of the week.  The spirit may move me to work in the yard.  I won’t hold my breath though.



The white one apparently has a compulsion when it comes to the clothes basket.  He feels compelled to tip it over and lie in it.  I don’t care where he is in the house.  Even if he didn’t see me get it, the moment I put it down and turn away, he just seems to materialize beside it, tips it over and curls up inside inside it.  He evidently things the blue puff is a fair trade.