, ,

I’ve spent the entire week on my office — and I’m still not finished!  However, I have to admit, I’ve not been pushing it.  After wrestling furniture on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I’ve slacked off, slept late and given my body time to recover.  I do have my computer back up (as you may have noticed) and my desk set up, and that part worked out pretty well except the wastebasket I was using is too wide to go beside my desk.  Other than that, though, I’m pleased with the new configuration.  I found another wastebasket I had been using someplace else fits there quite nicely, so I won’t have to buy a new one.  I still have pictures to rehang and stuff to sort out and relocate, but I think my next-wall neighbors will appreciate my decision to delay picture hanging until tomorrow, seeing as how it’s 9 o’clock at night right now. I won’t have enough room for the second recliner until I get rid of the roll-top desk, because it is occupying the space where I want to put something which is currently occupying the space where the recliner will go.

My friend and I accomplished great things by getting rid of the huge computer desk which is now in pieces in the dumpster except for the 2-drawer filing cabinet (I will be using it to store the yarn and thread I’ve been keeping in my roll-top desk drawers.), and the keyboard tray + hardware which are the only parts I kept. We moved a bunch of furniture around, lifted one piece off another piece, moved in a huge TV and the armoire it goes in from my bedroom.  With the two exceptions mentioned above, everything is where it’s going to go.  I’ve taken a bunch of pictures to show the stages, but I’ll get to those later.  I’m going to try to finish up the office tomorrow, so I can start on the living room on Monday, now that I’ve rested up.

I’ve had a little flare of my asthma.  I didn’t take a Mucinex-D one day, and I should have been taking them religiously what with all the dust I’ve been raising, so yesterday and today I’ve had some mild flares — mostly coughing fits.  Between cetirizine (Zyrtec) which I take daily and the Mucinex-D (which is guaifenesin, an expectorant, plus pseudoephedrine, a decongestant) which I take as needed, I’ve pretty much kept my asthma under control this year.  I’ve had a couple of shots of my inhaler yesterday and today, but I’ve not been wheezing, so I’ve dodged that bullet, at least.

I picked an ideal time to disassemble my computer and move the “gateway”(which also controls my phone and TV as well as internet access and wireless). Monday night, ATT had a major malfunction and the whole state of Texas was down -as well as 16 other states.  They got it back up Tuesday morning, but it was still up and down all day.  I finally got my phones back up Thursday.  Good thing I have a cellphone, too.

My Squeezebox internet radio has been a lifesaver.  I’ve been listening to the “Secret Agent” channel on SomaFM over it while I’ve been doing my office reorg.  It will move to the living room/lounge with me Monday as I begin the cleaning and rearranging there.  I’ve got room now to put the recliner in my bedroom until I can get rid of the rolltop desk, and I can put the little computer table in my office, but I really like the idea of having an area to watch DVDs/VHS tapes, read or knit/crochet.  I could, of course, watch the DVDs and tapes in the living room, but it’s such a complicated process to switch over from the cable box to the players, and takes two remotes.   Better this way.  I’ve only got the one cable box, so I wasn’t using this TV, since there’s nothing much on local TV that I like to watch.

One thing, with my computers set up the way they are now, I don’t need a desk lamp.  The room light is light enough.  I can use the big fluorescent adjustable arm lamp on the table beside the recliner for knitting and crocheting.  Also, I don’t have that hulking great computer desk blocking the flow from the ceiling fan, so it’ll be cooler in here this summer.

I’m currently in the process of cat proofing the office again.  They’ve been shut out of it all week while I was moving furniture and was in the middle of everything, and now it’s cleaned up enough that I can let them back in.  Just to show you what I’m up against, yesterday, before I’d gotten it relocated, the white cat, who eats paper, knocked over my shredder, and was eating the shredded paper out of it.  It’s now where it goes, and he can’t knock it over now.

I’ve also got space in my office bookshelf now for the books I’ll try to sell on Amazon.  I may end up with boxes and/or stacks of them piled around, but hopefully I’ll be able to sell some of them quickly.

So far, so good.  We’ll see if I can get this project completed by Saturday night since Monday is the Chinese New Year.